Terry V Culver

Dialect/Language Coaching; Freelance

5 posts in this topic

Freelance dialect coaching and languages coaching for the stage and film. Since 1989, have been both a vendor and acted with casts in various Renaissance festivals. English or Scots accented. Can teach. Am regionally Southern USA and can coach in British, Scottish and southern dialects. Just tell me location and time period of setting and we'll go from there! Foreign language? No problem. Gaelic speaker (Scottish), French, some Swedish, German and Spanish. US Government trained on those (Except Gaelic). Can help you develop that ear! I do work a full time regular job, but can schedule in-person or Skype/WhatsApp sessions.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:00 PM, Terry V Culver said:

Freelance dialect coaching and languages coaching for the stage and film. Since 1989, have been both a vendor and acted with casts in various Renaissance festivals. English or Scots accented. Can teach. Am regionally Southern USA and can coach in British, Scottish and southern dialects. Just tell me location and time period of setting and we'll go from there! Foreign language? No problem. Gaelic speaker (Scottish), French, some Swedish, German and Spanish. US Government trained on those (Except Gaelic). Can help you develop that ear! I do work a full time regular job, but can schedule in-person or Skype/WhatsApp sessions.

Do you ever work with fiction writers? Thanks for specifying which version of Gaelic! That language has always fascinated me.

How was DLI for you?

Just saw replies. So sorry for not responding. I had no notification! Technologically challenged. It helps to have a multi lingual home environment too. Not in as much demand these days as you'd think with all of the automated apps out there for translation. Babylon is one of them. Comes in handy though, when helping our friends who are writing, listening to movies (and it's great I don't have to see the subtitles); many great foreign films out there. If you haven't seen Arn the Knight Templar, you're really missing out on something, for one. There area also subdialects. I've helps actors get their Southern dialect on for specific states/regions in the Southern US and within the target era/timeframe. There IS a difference in some regions of the South. But careful...I may make you listen to Jeff Foxworthy videos or Larry the Cable guy!

On 9/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, Terry V Culver said:

Just saw replies. So sorry for not responding. I had no notification! Technologically challenged. It helps to have a multi lingual home environment too. Not in as much demand these days as you'd think with all of the automated apps out there for translation. Babylon is one of them. Comes in handy though, when helping our friends who are writing, listening to movies (and it's great I don't have to see the subtitles); many great foreign films out there. If you haven't seen Arn the Knight Templar, you're really missing out on something, for one. There area also subdialects. I've helps actors get their Southern dialect on for specific states/regions in the Southern US and within the target era/timeframe. There IS a difference in some regions of the South. But careful...I may make you listen to Jeff Foxworthy videos or Larry the Cable guy!

There are differences! Not everyone sounds alike. If they are from Dallas, Texas they don't sound like they are from say Little Rock or Pickles Gap, Arkansas. (The accents from both are different despite being less than 50 miles apart!) Some are worse to understand than others.

Same goes for New York. Not everyone comes from the city, therefore I do not have a Brooklyn, Bronx, or Queens accent just because I'm from New York. :) (It happens... people ask all the time why I don't sound like I'm from New York. >:( )

Edited by Nikki Ackerman