ChrisMac

Anyone watch The OA

14 posts in this topic

My husband and I just watched all of this over 3 nights.  It was interesting but I am still wondering what is real and what is imagined.  

TBH I really disliked it.  I thought the premise kind of ridiculous, the pacing was awful, most of the characterizations were weak, and the ending was a bit of an unsatisfying mess. I also thought it was sort of cheap to shoot those celestial scenes in The Broad's Infinity Room (or something like it). It looked like they were in a hall-of-mirrors type of situation. 

Edited by Jonathan McMahon

34 minutes ago, Pete Yagmin said:

A friend of mine was just talking about the OA on Facebook. What is it and what channel is it on?

It's on Netflix. Not sure if that's where it started or if they have streaming rights.

It's a Netflix original. The only thing really interesting about it is the way in which it is presented. It's designed to be binge-watched and there are no breaks between episodes. It's both written and starring the same woman who did Another Earth if you've ever seen that. I liked that film, but again, I wouldn't recommend this show to anyone unfortunately. 

Edited by Jonathan McMahon

I watched the whole season and thought it was OK. I give it a 3.5 on my scale (below), which means it was fine. I liked it a bit more after reading an article with the creators talking about the choices they made regarding (minor spoiler alert below...

Spoiler

using motion/movement as the trigger to the "magic" as opposed to something like an incantation or spell. 

I thought that was original enough to warrant an extra half star.

Here's my scale:

1. Terrible. Things I completely dislike. Very few movies end up with this rating.
  2. Bad. Would not recommend. Bottom 25%.
  3. Average. Not a complete waste of time, but unremarkable. Middle 40%.
  4. Good. These are ones I really enjoy and would refer to a friend. Top 30%.
  5. Exceptional. These are the movies I love, and would highly recommend. Top 5%.

As a side note, I think it would be fun to create a common Legion M scale, and then build a little tool that allows us all to rate movies/shows etc. It would fun to compare people's taste profiles, and also useful in helping us find and assess new projects.

I just binge-watched it. I found it intriguing. Slow-going a bit but I was drawn in to the interaction between these unlikely people coming together and forming a friendship. I feel that to enjoy it you have to be able to open your mind and heart to the impossible and the possible. If you are a literal type of person or don't feel things deeply and emotionally you might not connect with it.

During the last episode, the scene in the cafeteria when the kids and the teacher looked at one another before they launch into movement, this wave of emotion came over me and I started sobbing. I watched the scene again and sobbed a second time. I am curious for what the second season has in store...

From a narrative storytelling point, it was fascinating because if you notice each episode is not the same length of time. Some episodes are longer than others—just long enough to tell the story that needs to be told. The cool thing about it is it opens doors for writers to be experimental and not have to stay constricted in the traditional hour long TV script form... Netflix is allowing a chance for creative minds to play and experiment... :x💗

I had the opportunity to watch 2 of the episodes on "The Big Screen" at the LA Film School with Q&A afterward with Zal Batmanglig and Brit Marling. Can't wait for Season 2!

On 5/5/2017 at 4:44 AM, Karma Christine Salvato said:

From a narrative storytelling point, it was fascinating because if you notice each episode is not the same length of time. Some episodes are longer than others—just long enough to tell the story that needs to be told. The cool thing about it is it opens doors for writers to be experimental and not have to stay constricted in the traditional hour long TV script form... Netflix is allowing a chance for creative minds to play and experiment... :x💗

Yes I noticed that too. It's like reading a book, some chapters are longer, some are shorter, depending on what is happening.

The ending is intriguing. It leaves us wondering what is real and what is imagined. How much of the whole season was real or the product of a sick mind? 

I look forward to season 2. The show is original enough and stands out of the norm in ways that it deserves more season to tell its story.

@Christine Pointeau... I'm DEFINITELY in for season two!! Hopefully they are making one. I'm curious where the story will go. 

I feel it was more real than imagined. That is my initial interpretation.

I think I mentioned this above, but I feel to really enjoy this show you have to feel deeply and emotionally. You have to be open. Your mind and heart. If you are a literal type of person, you may not vibe with it. 

10 hours ago, Karma Christine Salvato said:

@Christine Pointeau... I'm DEFINITELY in for season two!! Hopefully they are making one. I'm curious where the story will go. 

I feel it was more real than imagined. That is my initial interpretation.

I think I mentioned this above, but I feel to really enjoy this show you have to feel deeply and emotionally. You have to be open. Your mind and heart. If you are a literal type of person, you may not vibe with it. 

They are. It was announced shortly after the first season came out. The date on season 2 is 2017 but who knows what stage of production it is in. (Probably post.) Just keep an eye out on Netflix!