Nikki Ackerman

Jessica Jones

15 posts in this topic

So, I may be a little behind again. I just don't have time to watch TV, streamed or actual but I've gotten to catch up recently and I caught up on this little beauty. I love that Jessica doesn't see herself as a hero, yet she is. I love that she's flawed. How have we not told her story on screen before?!?

Anyone else love this show too? Oh and Whovians ... the 10th Doctor is positively brilliant as Kilgrave! 

Her comic, Alias, only ran from 2001 to 2004 on Marvel's adult publisher. So not a lot of people knew about it. Back in the 90s Marvel sold the film rights to all their A-list characters to studios like Fox and Sony. That left most of their D-list and more obscure characters in their catalog to make film and television with. They've been quite adept at making characters like The Avengers and Jessica Jones a success. 

It's odd to like a villain so much but hate him so much at the same time.

I think they did an excellent job with character development in it as well.  Luke Cage was also very well done.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Gamble said:

It's odd to like a villain so much but hate him so much at the same time.

I think they did an excellent job with character development in it as well. 

Agreed. But I like listening to David Tennant talk, so it was very easy to like him!  ;)

This show/season  was very bell-curve for me, but like inverted. It started off really strong and then completely lost me in the middle. I found some of the characters' motivations hard to believe, and some of the storytelling to be inconsistent with what came before it. I really liked that it was showing the villain as having a "human" or a "good" side as well - but I felt like that should have been established much earlier on, if not right from the very beginning. Kilgrave was set up as the ultimate evil with no remorse and no decency, so then to introduce elements of that halfway through seemed jarring and incongruous with everything I knew about the character.  But then the end of the season got a lot better and I was right back on board again.

I would tune into a second season for sure.

What? Kilgrave was a sociopath. His only motivation for doing good things was purely narcissistic and his need to possess Jessica. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan McMahon said:

What? Kilgrave was a sociopath. His only motivation for doing good things was purely narcissistic and his need to possess Jessica. 

But there was a foundation of genuine emotion for her there. He had this whole movement of trying to have her fall in love with him without him controlling her at all. He wanted her to do it on her own and not because he told her to. And most of his "sociopathic" behavior stemmed from the freakishly awful thing that his parents did to him. 

21 minutes ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

But there was a foundation of genuine emotion for her there. He had this whole movement of trying to have her fall in love with him without him controlling her at all. He wanted her to do it on her own and not because he told her to. And most of his "sociopathic" behavior stemmed from the freakishly awful thing that his parents did to him. 

Except it turned out in episode 9 that his parents were actually helping him and not doing anything especially terrible to him.  

5 hours ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

Kilgrave only did the whole trying to make her fall in love with him thing, because he knew he no longer had any control over her, and wanted that control so badly that he was willing to kill anyone else that it took to make her his. It was completely selfish.  His parents were under his control as well.

He is pure evil. Anything he did that seemed to be good was for the sole purpose of getting Jessica to obey him again because she was the one thing in the world that he could not control and that was killing him.

Love this show, haven't had a chance to binge Luke Cage yet. Hope season 2 is in the works!

18 hours ago, John C said:

Love this show, haven't had a chance to binge Luke Cage yet. Hope season 2 is in the works!

From what I understand it will be as soon as Iron Fist and The Defenders have their release dates. The Defenders is filming now. Luke Cage is great. They did a good job of weaving the two characters together.

On 1/24/2017 at 1:25 PM, Nikki Ackerman said:

Agreed. But I like listening to David Tennant talk, so it was very easy to like him!  ;)

I'm with you!  I'm a Ten Whovian myself, and I can't for the life of me understand all the Whovians that raised such a huge stink about Killgrave ruining Doctor Who for them!

I've run the first season twice now, and the only character I don't like is the cop.  One thing I've wondered, and haven't had time to look into, is his whole thing with the doctor and the pills... is that possibly related to WeaponX somehow? I'm sure Marvel has other properties that it could be, but I'd love to know more!

On 1/24/2017 at 2:03 AM, Jeff Annison said:

I watched the first season and enjoyed it. Kilgrave is a great villain.

I LOVE him too! And not just because of Tennant.  He's such a spectacular abstract to start with, and the way they developed him from that, to narcissistic sociopath, to a relatable, abused victim himself was absolutely phenomenal!  I'm really hoping we haven't seen the last of him! 

Kilgrave was about control, not love. He wanted Jessica because she had escaped his controll, reflecting how many men pursue women as things to possess. One person pointed out that the men in the show were mostly window dressing, much like women are portrayed in shows. Loved this show.

I loved Tennant as Killgrave. He's an awesome villain and that takes nothing away from his years as The Doctor. He's an actor after all and should diversify his roles. That's the point of being an actor.