Submissions Estimate   50 members have voted

1. 1. Submission estimate

• I have a flash fiction (0-1000 words) to submit
    • I could have a flash fiction ready soon
    • I have a short story (1000 - 6000 words) to submit
    • I could have a short story ready soon
    • I have a novelette/novella (6000-20,000 words) to submit
    • I could have a novelette/novella ready soon

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

This is a poll to gage how many potential story submissions we might be getting. Tales from the Legion will be accepting original, never before published fiction stories in the genres of science fiction, fantasy, horror, historical and adventure. Stories will be categorized as Flash Fiction, Short Story and Novelette/Novella. Poetry will be considered if it has a clear narrative ark, all poetry submissions will be grouped based on word count into the previously listed categories. 

1 hour ago, Zandra Bill said:

So no love stories or rom-coms?   :(

Well if they fit with one of the other genre's such as a sci-fi romance, or a fantasy rom-com that would be totally acceptable. Or perhaps if it was appropriate in some other way, for example a story about finding love at a ComicCon.  The goal is to have stories that seem at home in the sort of fandoms we associate with Legion M. 

Also we're not accepting any X-rated stories.

Would we be able to submit multiple pieces? I tend to write shorter-form so I'm not sure if mine would end up in flash or short story, but I might crank out a couple if the muse strikes me.

23 minutes ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

Would we be able to submit multiple pieces? I tend to write shorter-form so I'm not sure if mine would end up in flash or short story, but I might crank out a couple if the muse strikes me.

Most likely multiple submissions will be accepted.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:10 PM, Patrick Wiley said:

Well if they fit with one of the other genre's such as a sci-fi romance, or a fantasy rom-com that would be totally acceptable. Or perhaps if it was appropriate in some other way, for example a story about finding love at a ComicCon.  The goal is to have stories that seem at home in the sort of fandoms we associate with Legion M. 

Also we're not accepting any X-rated stories.

Thanks for being specific on the X-rated! There are outlets for those and if anyone needs to know what they are, please ask and I'll get that together for you. I tell you erotic fiction is not for everyone.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:29 PM, Michelle P. Carter said:

Hehe and mine tend to be more on the novella side than short! :) My classmates hated to see "the box" from FedEx/Kinkos come in. :D

Edited by Nikki Ackerman

5 minutes ago, Nikki Ackerman said:

I tell you erotic fiction is not for everyone.

It's not for me.  I just don't appreciate or care for it.

22 minutes ago, Shao Lopez said:

And that's why I'm glad that was specified. I had a classmate once ... that was all he wrote and 15 of us had to read it as part of our class participation grade. And it wasn't good nor was it tasteful. :S

43 minutes ago, Shao Lopez said:

I don't mind reading it. Have no interest in writing it. But that goes for things like violence and gore too. It's just kinda boring to me. Can't resort to cheap stuff like violence and sex to push a story that, underneath, has nothing else to it. 9_9

1 minute ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

I don't mind reading it. Have no interest in writing it. But that goes for things like violence and gore too. It's just kinda boring to me. Can't resort to cheap stuff like violence and sex to push a story that, underneath, has nothing else to it. 9_9

Whatever, Stormpilot. 

1 minute ago, Jonathan McMahon said:

Whatever, Stormpilot. 

Now, see, great example of some erotica I can get behind. xD (Ba-dum-tsh.)

Edited by Michelle P. Carter

I have a "Novella" I've been writing for a long time that a deadline would probably actually help me finish.  I also have several short stories that go along with it, and once the first story is done, I have at least 2 more Novella's that will be following.  Currently I have  37879 words written.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:53 PM, Nikki Ackerman said:

And that's why I'm glad that was specified. I had a classmate once ... that was all he wrote and 15 of us had to read it as part of our class participation grade. And it wasn't good nor was it tasteful. :S

Gotta hate bad untasteful junk... I had someone ask me to help out a friend by typing out his story.  It was SO bad I had to stop and tell her I couldn't do it.  I can't type out a story that is truly awful and should never be read by anyone, especially not me.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Gamble said:

I have a "Novella" I've been writing for a long time that a deadline would probably actually help me finish.  I also have several short stories that go along with it, and once the first story is done, I have at least 2 more Novella's that will be following.  Currently I have  37879 words written.

Cool. By "go along with it" do you mean these are set in the same world or just that you could submit all of them? 

Edited by Patrick Wiley

5 hours ago, Patrick Wiley said:

Cool. By "go along with it" do you mean these are set in the same world or just that you could submit all of them? 

Set in the same world

I wanted to ask, what sort of a deadline are you thinking for these submissions, and will you have rules/criteria they must follow? I may need a lot of time to prepare so I want to make sure I'm ready, haha.

1 hour ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

I wanted to ask, what sort of a deadline are you thinking for these submissions, and will you have rules/criteria they must follow? I may need a lot of time to prepare so I want to make sure I'm ready, haha.

Well I figure we're at least a month out from nailing down the review board. I think a three month submission period would be about right. 

12 hours ago, Jeremy Gamble said:

Set in the same world

Ok. We probably wont want too much space devoted to a single fictional world. I'd advise to make sure the stories you submit work as stand alone. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Wiley said:

Well I figure we're at least a month out from nailing down the review board. I think a three month submission period would be about right. 

Ok. We probably wont want too much space devoted to a single fictional world. I'd advise to make sure the stories you submit work as stand alone. 

They do stand alone...

Well so far we still need approval of the review board. I was thinking of having a three month submission period to give people who are still working on stories a chance to complete them.

Genres and word count should be the same as mentioned in the poll and opening comment. Max 25,000 words, genres of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, preferred. Mystery, adventure, historical and anything relating to geek culture will also be considered.

So you won't take published works, even if there is a script adapted from my own published book?  It's a sci-fi adventure romance.  Otherwise, I'm working on the third book in the series which I could adapt to a script.  It hasn't been published yet.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:46 AM, Ester Lopez said:

So you won't take published works, even if there is a script adapted from my own published book?  It's a sci-fi adventure romance.  Otherwise, I'm working on the third book in the series which I could adapt to a script.  It hasn't been published yet.

Unfortunately at this time we are looking for previously unpublished material because we want this to be a platform for new stories and because previously unpublished works will be easier to license. For this reason we wont be accepting already published material or derivative works of already published material. We are also only taking prose writing or poetry with a clear narrative arc. Therefore we cannot take movie or tv scripts. We also are not taking full length books. The maximum length we will consider is a novella up to 20,000 words. The goal is to create a single full length book (100,000 words) of several original short stories and narrative prose, therefore we must only consider submissions that fit this objective.