Jeff Annison

What's your Stargate Story?

43 posts in this topic

I've always been a huge Stargate fan starting with the movie and then I've been an avid watcher of every series!  I love the imagination that goes into it with the the science/technology aspect as well as the humor and adventure.  I've always found it to be a great mix of all of these elements and would love to see more done with the franchise!

I watched Stargate early on and enjoyed it...kinda seemed to drag on a little past my interest and other things took priority. I like Richard Dean Anderson, but he's put on a LOT of weight and was barely recognizable in the most recent pictures I saw of him. Another series would probably flop. A well written movie, with a good budget and a big name-well picked cast could be a good one-shot. I wouldn't expect more than that. Personal opinion! Not intended to hurt any feelings of big fans.

I saw the movie and enjoyed it.  I  started watching SG-1 on Showtime with my father.  Got away from it due to work and life.  I lost my father in '05 and would watch it from time to time to help me remember good times with him.  Going through my divorce in '09 was a bit tough and SG-1 really help get me through those nights and days that lasted forever.  

I've see every episode of each  show, SG-1, SGA and SGU.  I've been to conventions and have met many wonderful people and have made some great friends, all due to SG-1.

In other words, you want to pick our collective brains.

I started watching Stargate just because of McGyver, I stayed to see how the stories would unfold. I also liked Farscape, so the inclusion toward the end of the series with Ben Crowder and Claudia Black was an interesting touch.

For Stargate and Farscape wormholes were the story, their reason for being. If you use Stargate as the basis for something new it could have to do with finding or being able to create massive amounts of negative matter. Theoretically this material is such that it can be used to create a system of time machines by using a system of artificially created wormholes.  As it happens I have a sci-fi film idea where this tech is used to protect us from what we think is a galactic threat, but they are actually going to save us from a threat we're unaware of, despite our attempts to destroy them. So, as it happens, they'd be "new" friends that would open all kinds of doors...

I enjoyed the movie when it came out and have watched it on DVD a few times since then (and since it's been quite a while since the last viewing, I'm probably going to watch it again this weekend ;)).  We didn't have Showtime so didn't get involved with SG1 until the reruns went into syndication.  Hubby stumbled upon an episode one Saturday afternoon, really liked it, and started watching the reruns on a regular basis.  He told me how great the show was, and I started watching it with him.   The first episode I can remember seeing was Enemies -- the first episode of season 5.  I thought the running firefight down the corridors against the replicators was very cool -- it's still one of my favorite scenes -- I love seeing replicators explode.  :D

Shortly after that, a friend who had been into SG1 from the beginning gave us the DVD box sets for the first 2 seasons.  We binge-watched those and then continued to buy the rest of the series and binge-watched them too.  We started doing the same with Atlantis, but we both lost interest midway through the series.  I eventually went back and watched some of the later episodes, but never finished it.  Neither of us ever got into SGU.  

Since then, I've watched SG1 multiple times (including the directors' commentaries), bought some books about it, and picked up a few "collector's" items.  It remains one of my all-time favorite shows -- and all because of a rerun one Saturday afternoon.

15 hours ago, Jeff Annison said:

Never have seen any of the TV shows, but would be very interested in doing so now.

If you have Amazon Prime, all 200+ episodes of SG1 are available for free.  I would recommend however (although others may disagree), that you skip the first two free episodes (Children of the Gods parts 1 and 2) and rent the re-edited version from 2009 instead.  It has much cleaner editing and also ties in better with the rest of the series.

13 hours ago, Rod White said:

The movie version was much better than the television series. 

Well im sure Roland & Dean would love to hear that but your very much in the minority... I am not here to change anyone's mind, we are here to embrace that SG fandom and keep it alive! It does still shock me to hear though and I often wonder if people grasp how far they took the idea and created something amazing. I will never downplay the idea or how much passion and hard work went into the film that was one huge undertaking in AZ in 110 degree heat and huge sets and massive challenges with a then basic CGI so many models were still used and I am glad that many movies still use these today, it gives a illusion of realism that CGI can not always deliver! 

11 minutes ago, Larissa Rasor said:

I forgot that it was the early 90's. Thanks for reminding me. Sign of age, I guess.  Years are starting to blur. ;)

ooo trust me I been doing SG since 2005 and sometimes I forget just how long this stuff has been around and how much its impacted my life over the years! So awesome to see all these fans I often feel like things been fading but this past year it seems like there has been a uprising of old fans wanting more!

Lets hear more stories how SG has made impact on your life in some way?

This is old video from GATEWORLD where Amanda talks about how the fans impacted her life, I was lucky enough to be mentioned by her, but how so many fans affected her life as well! The SG fandom is unlike most the other fandom's we know well... It's always had a more deep-rooted passion and connection with everyone, much more than other popular ones. I do not hear as many Star Wars or Star Trek fans saying how the shows impacted their lives in such meaningful ways, they are just huge fans... The personal impact just seems more real and classic than others do... Maybe I am just bias? 

AmandaRyanFlagSmall.jpgAMANDA2012.jpg

Edited by Ryan Heath Nixon

Niki and I lived in a tent in the Ozarks for two years. During that time, for X-mas, Yule, Sole Invictus, whatever term you use for the winter solstice, she bought me the complete series of Stargate, along with the original film. Well, we went through one of the worst winters that the Ozark has had in two decades a few weeks later. We were completely snowed in (in a tent), for over two weeks. We curled up in bed and had a Stargate marathon for 2+ weeks. It was a blast.

Bren

I'm a diehard SG-1 fan. I never got into Atlantis. I watched some of SGU and liked it but didn't see the end. When it comes to SG-1 I didn't like the Ori ark very much, which is unfortunate because a lot of the subplots of that season like the Lucian alliance and Baal infiltrating earth were fantastic. All in all it still had its moments and Ark of Truth was also a pretty solid concluding movie. Continuum however was weak and a really poorly done time travel episode.

I got SG-1 patches at a commicon a while back, I've been meaning to get a jacket for them.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:31 AM, Ryan Heath Nixon said:

Lets hear more stories how SG has made impact on your life in some way?

This is old video from GATEWORLD where Amanda talks about how the fans impacted her life, I was lucky enough to be mentioned by her, but how so many fans affected her life as well! The SG fandom is unlike most the other fandom's we know well... It's always had a more deep-rooted passion and connection with everyone, much more than other popular ones. I do not hear as many Star Wars or Star Trek fans saying how the shows impacted their lives in such meaningful ways, they are just huge fans... The personal impact just seems more real and classic than others do... Maybe I am just bias? 

AmandaRyanFlagSmall.jpgAMANDA2012.jpg

Ryan, this is so awesome! Tell us the story about the first picture. Did you give that to Amanda as a gift?

22 hours ago, MeriJewel said:

Ryan, this is so awesome! Tell us the story about the first picture. Did you give that to Amanda as a gift?

Yes- I and few my friends in the Navy helped me make this gift. We made a custom SG-1 "shadow box" as thank you for doing my final re-enlistment in the Navy on 26 March, 2006 while I was in Vancouver BC doing the set tour.  Was great day for both of us... She was as nervous as I was I think. It was a very intimate thing with about 20 of my friends in a very small room and when we were done there was not dry eye in the room till she said "You guys better not make me cry"... and broke the tears with roar of laughter from everyone... I was very lucky but so many told me it never happened that pushed me harder to try I hate being told I can not do something! It was nice to prove so many wrong all at once! She has also talked about that day around the world for years. I would get FB msg from friends in Australia and the UK. "Hey Amanda was talking about you this weekend on stage" so that was very humbling! She later even talked about it while being interviewed by GATEWORLD (Time Stamp 4:55) http://www.gateworld.net/video/phenomenon/1215779486.shtml

8.JPG35.JPG

12.JPG13.jpg26.jpg

Edited by Ryan Heath Nixon

So, I never really told my Stargate story. I have a friend who was obsessed with SG-1. So, we'd hang out and watch it in his CHU while we were in Iraq. SG-1 reminds me of him, not that I'm a fan of the show. I love the movie more. (Don't hate! ;)  )

On 11/26/2016 at 2:14 PM, Patrick Wiley said:

I'm a diehard SG-1 fan. I never got into Atlantis. I watched some of SGU and liked it but didn't see the end. When it comes to SG-1 I didn't like the Ori ark very much, which is unfortunate because a lot of the subplots of that season like the Lucian alliance and Baal infiltrating earth were fantastic. All in all it still had its moments and Ark of Truth was also a pretty solid concluding movie. Continuum however was weak and a really poorly done time travel episode.

I got SG-1 patches at a commicon a while back, I've been meaning to get a jacket for them.

Patrick,

Not to be down most the "comic con" patches are junk... And if your looking for jacket I can help with that... ALL my jackets come with screen accurate patches!

I can offer you 10% off as Legion M member! And will do FREE shipping till New Years if your interested in green one! I have all normal reg sizes in stock!

http://www.stitchsloft.com/loft/sg-1-offworld-jacket-green/