Jeff Annison

Welcome to the Stargate Workgroup!

100 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cathy Udovch said:

I'm going to stand on the side of the Stargate creators and say that by making such an amazing movie that launched  such a successful set of series, they've earned a chance to tell their Original story, sans the series storyline. 

I know that is hard for those of us with such an emotional attachment to the characters, storylines and personality of each show, but we don't own this story, we never did. Interactions online with cast and crew of many shows has led to a trend of 'fan entitlement', but the reality is that writers, directors, producers and actors haven't and shouldn't change the way they work just because some fans complain about changes, or  beg for changes. Their interaction is purely promotional, except the rare few who also teach their craft with their interaction. So this notion that we, the fans, should try to direct any sort of change to a storyline that has existed in Dean's and Roland's head since the first film is disrespectful to a creator's right to tell their story their way.

Flame away, but I know too many writers who face this problem daily to have any other opinion.

I can't like this enough. I wish more fans had this attitude. 

6 hours ago, Cathy Udovch said:

I'm going to stand on the side of the Stargate creators and say that by making such an amazing movie that launched  such a successful set of series, they've earned a chance to tell their Original story, sans the series storyline. 

I know that is hard for those of us with such an emotional attachment to the characters, storylines and personality of each show, but we don't own this story, we never did. Interactions online with cast and crew of many shows has led to a trend of 'fan entitlement', but the reality is that writers, directors, producers and actors haven't and shouldn't change the way they work just because some fans complain about changes, or  beg for changes. Their interaction is purely promotional, except the rare few who also teach their craft with their interaction. So this notion that we, the fans, should try to direct any sort of change to a storyline that has existed in Dean's and Roland's head since the first film is disrespectful to a creator's right to tell their story their way.

Flame away, but I know too many writers who face this problem daily to have any other opinion.

I can agree with this to a certain degree for sure! The biggest problem is most do not think like this... If this election has show us anything is this entitlement thinking that is what is wrong with the world today... Too many participation trophy's have been handed out. You need to work for what you get! My father also taught me to do what you love and you will never have to "work" a day in your life! So I do not like using the word "fan" since I consider myself a professional, so that already is hard to swallow at times and I have to blur those lines at times. I have been very fortunate in the things I been allowed to see and work on and I know that, but no matter what the script is I know I could offer some solid ideas if presented with opportunity or asked for my input! Looks like Cathy could do the same!

I can say I would love to be involved with a new Stargate project. I am a fan of the movie, SG-1 was okay. Not a big fan of the TV shows in general.

I agree with @Cathy Udovch . There are lots of things as a "fan" of one show/movie or another that I think could be different, or "I would have written that better" doesn't mean that my ideas, as fan, are what the creator wanted. Example, NCIS. I think Abby and McGee should have been a couple rather than McGee and what's her name But that's not how the creator envisioned things and I'm okay with that.

As for what's in it for Legion M ... depends on what we're looking at in terms of the rights and contract with MGM. Possibilities include merchandising!

Count me in to be involved in any and every way I can be!!  We are huge fans of the movie and the TV shows.  My wife, son, and I have watched every episode of all 3 series and we love them all!  We thought SG-1 was a fantastic series with a solid ending, and we thought SGU deserved more time!

You can count me in too! I loved the movie and watched both SG:SG1 and most of SG:A, I actually have yet to watch SG:U, but I really should. It's been awhile since I've seen them though so I'd probably want to watch them as a nice refresher.

I have watched every TV episode from SG-1, Atlantis and SG-U - and thoroughly enjoyed the story arcs - and always tried guessing where the stories were going. Sometimes right... sometimes wrong ;) I actually agree with the retelling of a story given previous comments - actually physical properties/names from the TV series since they are still under MGM could be re-used and re-told as well - so even our favorite stories could be worked in somehow. As the article suggests in the reboot of Stargate... MGM might consider this a Cinematic Universe (no pun intended) and so many things could happen - look at Star Wars and stand alone backstory movies being made while the main story is being told over several years.

I would of course be extremely interested in being part of any Workgroup but also just happy in Legion M being part of it at all!!

On 11/11/2016 at 10:21 AM, Jeff Annison said:

Legion M has an interesting potential opportunity brewing (the operative word is POTENTIAL so please don't get too excited just yet) with this property. To prepare and give ourselves the best shot at making something happen, we wanted to gather the members of the Legion who are fans of the movies/shows and ask some questions. We also thought it might be a fun chance to create a small focused community within the broader Legion M community.

Keep me in the loop if any investment opps for this project comes to fruition... IF ANY

I've been BLOWN away at the response to this topic. I had no idea there was so much Stargate love in our midst.  We'll keep everybody informed as things develop. As I mentioned in my post, it's super early which means it's a bit of a longshot. But based on the response here we'll push as hard as we can!

22 hours ago, Jeff Annison said:

I've been BLOWN away at the response to this topic. I had no idea there was so much Stargate love in our midst.  We'll keep everybody informed as things develop. As I mentioned in my post, it's super early which means it's a bit of a longshot. But based on the response here we'll push as hard as we can!

I know how big this fan base is! However, I am surprised with amount Legion response! This is AWESOME!

Other than 007 I think this is MGM's biggest franchise if they use it properly, these studios need to listen to the fans and not the Bonnie Hammer's of the world!

I am still upset at stuff she pulled with SyFy Channel and she is lucky we didn't all band together and do YARD CON.... in her front yard!

I am most definitely interested in being a part of this workgroup!  Love Stargate, from the original movie with Kurt Russell, to the Showtime series, to the Syfy Channel series,  to Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate Universe!  I've seen every episode and movie related to Stargate!  I'd love to be part of any chance of reviving the franchise no matter what that might look like!

Ooooh!!! I'm in! YES, I am a HUGE Stargate fan! Loved the movie and all the series. David Winning, my director for my feature film project I'm developing, directed an episode of Stargate Atlantis.

spaceterminal.jpg

@Jeff Annison Might our possible involvement have anything to do with patching things up? If the problem is that the studios are reluctant to place their bet, then maybe my assumption was correct- that we would be brought on to screen the film, but then there's the question of how much they would have to spend before that point.  If the problem is that there are too many cooks hovering over this pot, then maybe we could serve as a more focused place to put it. We are a production company, after all.  There are also people here who know a lot about lowering budgets, even if that is on a smaller scale.

1 hour ago, Jonathan McMahon said:

Yes Jonathan... thats what we are talking about now... LOL

Ed has a point and that is what I was thinking right off the bat! Trying to not get excited yet!

Maybe they are looking at another series and saw FAN wise the re-boot may not be the best thing after ID4R and others!

I am going to try to find out next week! More to come!

On 11/11/2016 at 0:37 PM, Ryan Heath Nixon said:

Meri,

Do you costume? Have you ever checked out my website?

http://www.stitchsloft.com/

I love to connecting to long time fans! Loved your story! Its amazing how Stargate has touched so many lives and yet so many have never seen it, it just never seem to break through that glass ceiling and hot the Star Trek or Star Wars level and I never could understand it... Firefly had such a huge fan base too but examples of how NOT to do things as FOX made huge mistake with that!

Ryan, no I don't but it's something that I always thought would be awesome to do! Maybe I should get a uniform for conventions! ;)

Thank you, I appreciate you reading my story. Stargate will always have a very special place in my heart. I wish it had broke through that glass ceiling. It really deserved to. :crashh:

On 11/11/2016 at 11:56 AM, Jeremy Gamble said:

I have seen every single Stargate episode, in every type of Stargate.  It's an amazing story with so much potential that it is sad that it's missing from TV right now.

I agree! It is very sad! Oh how I miss the days where I couldn't wait to get home to watch Stargate. :x