Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zandra Bill

Doctor Strange

14 posts in this topic

There are many wonderful things about living in the UK, our history, culture, sense of humour and we get to see the Marvel films before the U.S.

This morning I watched Doctor Strange and it left me feeling kind of strange.  I enjoy almost all of the Marvel films and I view them strictly as a movie fan, I'm not into the comics which means I don't have the background knowledge on the story or characters. My favourite Marvel films are the Thor and Avenger ones but I also enjoy the X-Men and absolutely loved Deadpool.

Doctor Strange on the other hand has left me feeling a little short changed and I can't put my finger on the reason.  I love Benedict Cumberbatch in everything he does but I'm not sure if I find him convincing as Strange.  The rest of the cast are fabulous, the effects are awesome but it all feels a little hollow just like the Doctor himself.

I will be interested to see what my fellow legionnaires think but make sure you hang around for the mid-credits and post-credits scenes they at least give us something to look forward to.  🎬

I will probably see it in 3 weeks... we have 2 weekend soccer tournaments that make going opening weekend (and the weekend after) difficult. But I can't wait to see it!!

I will probably watch it on Saturday morning.  It might be because it is origin story or the story did not speak to you. I can't wait to see it.

I am headed to see it this evening at an early screening.

What do you all think about LEGION M doing movie reviews???

1 hour ago, Damian Beurer said:

I love this idea, but I would probably cause offense with my opinions and views. 😀

10 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

I love this idea, but I would probably cause offense with my opinions and views. 😀

I was thinking of a more OFFICIAL type of review... with some production value thrown into the mix and placing them on our Youtube channel.

On 11/1/2016 at 3:42 PM, Damian Beurer said:

Love the idea! I already do some. nikkiackerman.weebly.com or popcultureuncovered.com (search for Sarge) I don't do as many for PCU because I don't get advanced screenings where I am.

On 11/1/2016 at 5:57 PM, Jonathan McMahon said:

I'm all for a YouTube channel or a podcast. Hell let's aim a little higher and create a podcast network with multiple shows. 

Not sure about a podcast... never done one but I'm sure it would be awesome. Don't we already have a YouTube channel?

I enjoyed Dr. Strange, but as a whole I get more excited about DC's magical characters. Give me the Endless, Dr. Fate, John Constantine, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Etrigan, The Spectre, Phantom Stranger any day over Dr. Strange. I know Warner Bros has plans to tackle these characters I mentioned on the big screen, but I don't have a lot of faith in their adaptations considering their recent track record. Right now I am just assuming that Marvel will, again, be better at handling their characters than WB/DC has.

I've seen Doctor Strange twice now and really like the character.

One downside about the movie in my opinion is the high reliance on special effects, which got to be a little much towards the end. Would it make for a stronger movie and character development if the writers did not rely on computer effects so much? Just a thought.

I (finally) just got around to seeing this movie a few days ago. I really enjoyed it a lot! I thought I would have a hard time with Benny in an American accent, but it wasn't as distracting as I expected it would be. I wasn't familiar with the character/story of Doctor Strange before seeing this movie, except that it was one of the Marvel properties that deals with magic. I thought the comedic elements were pretty on par with the rest of Marvel studios, and the visual effects were really stunning.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:02 AM, Christine Pointeau said:

I've seen Doctor Strange twice now and really like the character.

One downside about the movie in my opinion is the high reliance on special effects, which got to be a little much towards the end. Would it make for a stronger movie and character development if the writers did not rely on computer effects so much? Just a thought.

Because of the spell casting, I think killing the FX would hurt the movie in the long run. This kind of movie would have been unheard of 15 - 20 years ago because of the level of FX needed and the technology wasn't there.

As far as character development, I think we saw a lot from Strange considering how much of an arrogant ass he was in the beginning. Granted he has a long way to go to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme that he is in the comics and hopefully they will allow his character to get there.