Zandra Bill

The Last Jedi - reviews

16 posts in this topic

What are the thoughts of the Legion on the latest instalment of the Star Wars franchise; good, bad or indifferent?  Of course no spoilers unless you use the hide spoilers facility please.  Discuss....

It is gutsy, but overall I liked it. There were things I really enjoyed and things I wasn't crazy about, but it was a pretty solid sequel even though I feel like it didn't have the emotional impact that TFA or Rogue One did. It confirmed a lot of my own theories. There were definitely some surprises regarding how they handled certain characters. There was a new duo that I didn't feel had any chemistry. Their whole subplot seemed a little...I don't know.... extraneous.

Edited by Jonathan McMahon

My spoiler free review :)

@Jonathan McMahon You are so right about the surprises! My daughter and I looked at each other in shock or awe with each one!

@Zandra Bill Feel free to read my review on my site. :) I swear, no spoilers. I mention Porgs (which have been everywhere) and Rose (who we knew about for various promos). What I do not mention are plot points and storylines.

But we LOVED it! It held its own better than we'd hoped.

Edited by Nikki Ackerman

@Nikki Ackerman I saw it yesterday and I'm still not sure what I think of it but my lasting impression is that it hasn't left me with any lasting impressions. O.o

@Jonathan McMahon which duo do you speak of? As I have many reservations about some of the subplots but I do think that Mark Hamill is the saviour of the whole film.

4 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

@Nikki Ackerman I saw it yesterday and I'm still not sure what I think of it but my lasting impression is that it hasn't left me with any lasting impressions. O.o

@Jonathan McMahon which duo do you speak of? As I have many reservations about some of the subplots but I do think that Mark Hamill is the saviour of the whole film.

Spoiler

Rose and Finn I think...

Sorry about no lasting impression. :(

8 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

Finn and Rose. I pretty much loved everything on planet Ireland.

Edited by Jonathan McMahon

I had to give this review some serious thought. 

As a Star Wars Fan, I loved every minute of the film.

I think that this film did well in pushing the story forward and encouraging the future of the saga to continue with new and bold characters. 

Spoiler

We are starting to see the divergence between the Original Star Wars Canon and the New Star Wars Canon. It can be argued that we witnessed the divergence with the death of Han Solo. But, I feel that the loss of Luke and the eventual loss of Leia in the subsequent film will force and pave way for the "new blood" to carry the torch.  This film not only cut the ties between the old films and the new films, it also expanded the Star Wars Universe. We witnessed a lot of world building/expansion. I suspect, we will learn more about the dark parts of the universe and possibly learn more of what Snoke was.

I would rank this film 3rd or 4th in the entire Canon (Please note, I am including the entire saga...this includes Rogue One and The Animated Clone Wars series....even Caravan of Courage & Ewoks: The Battle for Endor and many other television series in the 80s).

That being said, The ranking might change after I see the film again. I will have to wait for the DVD release to review it once more with captions. I had a monumental challenge in following the dialogue in the film.  AMC, ran out of functioning & portable closed captioning devices. Some were still being recharged and the others were being used. The AMC I went to had new showings of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" every half hour. 

Spoiler

My review will most likely change after seeing it again with the captions. I did notice some pairings of characters that seems forced. But, I imagine it would be cleared up for me when I catch a better glance of the dialogue. 

When, I left the theater I saw that there was a rather long...long..line forming. I was lucky enough to slip into the first screening of the day on a Friday afternoon.

I finished work at Noon and I high tailed it to the AMC Theater or the 1230 showing!

I had an amazing time I encourage everyone to see it and of course to see it again.-Adam

Edited by Adam Cox
corrections

That's too bad about the captioning @Adam Cox but I hope that you get a chance to get to see it again soon. I thought it was entertaining but I have some reservations.

Spoiler

I really think that Snoke was a pointless villain and not really that powerful and I thought that the slowest chase in the history of sci-fi was rediculous and more like a scene from Austin Powers. :/

That's just my opinion and apparently I'm wrong according to my sons. 😀 

59 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

That's too bad about the captioning @Adam Cox but I hope that you get a chance to get to see it again soon. I thought it was entertaining but I have some reservations.

Hide contents

I really think that Snoke was a pointless villain and not really that powerful and I thought that the slowest chase in the history of sci-fi was rediculous and more like a scene from Austin Powers. :/

That's just my opinion and apparently I'm wrong according to my sons. 😀 

That subplot of TLJ was based on two classic films. Twelve O’Clock High and Letter Never Sent. They're basically about the struggles of leadership while stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Spoiler

Rather than taking place in an air base under dire conditions in WWII Johnson puts his crew in a capitol starship with few options. In TLJ it progresses Poe's character arc profoundly, teaching him valuable lessons in leadership that he will carry with him into the future. To me, Finn and Rose's subplot was fairly pointless unless they bring back DJ as a character in Episode IX. But maybe that's the point. As Yoda taught us in this one, the greatest lesson is failure.

I absolutely adored the film. I had a long discussion with my brother about certain character subplots and roles, and I understand his and other's frustrations with them, however I do feel that all things were placed in the film with a specific purpose to help further the arcs of the main characters. I always try to keep an open mind, it has been the best advice I have ever followed to go into the viewing or the interacting with any art medium completely open, not expecting things. I had my own theories about things, or things I may have wanted to know that were not answered by the film, but I am not bothered by that. I feel like a lot of the negative reviews stem from this, a desire to have certain questions answered or issues resolved or worse, for things to go the way one wants them or would like them to go. I am no angel, but my best advice for anyone stuck in this is to follow the admonition of Obi Wan to Luke in A New Hope, "Use the Force Luke... Let go, Luke." You gotta let those things go before you go into the theater. The film is not made for you, the creators and staff of the film are not obligated to answer all your questions and resolve the issues you want resolved or to make the story how you would like it. They are telling their story.  The film is made in the hopes to appeal to many audiences and in this case, a new generation of Star Wars fans as well, and I believe, to take us to places in our favorite galaxy far far away that we have not experienced yet. 

I laughed, I cheered, I cried and had a great time watching it... And I was fortunate enough to have been able to see it twice already!!! :) I am loving where things are going and super excited for the next film. 

@Tyson Blair You're so right! This was the continuing of the Skywalker saga, yet with the untimely passing of Ms. Fisher, it had to become the passing of the reigns for the next generation.  This trilogy is the first that my daughter has seen in the theatre, so she is one of the new generation of fans. She loves Star Wars and loved The Last Jedi as I think a lot more fans did than folks realize. 

I hope to get to see it again after Christmas. :)

I've seen it twice (once at opening night at the Chinese), and overall enjoyed it. It started strong and ended strong, although in the middle I felt it got a little lost. It has 3 incredible moments

Spoiler

(Snokes Death, the Jump to Lightspeed, and Kylo recognizing Luke isn't there)

that were AWESOME to behold, and a lot of surprises. Overall was a solid addition to the series, IMHO.

And I even love the Porg. :) 

It was disappointing but not truly terrible. I felt like it was a mostly good movie weighed down by one too many significant problems. I realize that it wouldn't quite be Star Wars without plot holes. I was not expecting the second movie in a trilogy to neatly tie everything up. I realize that Johnson wanted to defy expectations. Maybe it will stand up better with repeated viewings. That's all fine. I still think that there were too many red herrings and the treatment of Luke and Leia both was downright disrespectful. And somehow, the plot makes a huge mess going forward even though nothing really changed other than a few major deaths.

3 hours ago, Jonathan McMahon said:

@Edward L Cote what do you mean by plot holes? I didn't really notice any.

I didn't notice any either... but then again I've only seen it once and I don't pick movies apart the first time around, unless I'm writing a review for someone else.

In short I neither loved nor hated it. I felt Luke and Rey's storyline was the strongest and Fin, Poe and Rose's was the weakest. The core plot points and underlying story messages resonated with me but there were problems with pacing.

If anyone wants to read my in depth analysis check out my blog post:

On Failure and the Last Jedi