Adam Cox

Do you have a holiday movie tradition ?

13 posts in this topic

Like many of you I have a great affinity for films, television, books, and the occasional comic.  My family and I have a Christmas tradition of films. It varies year to year...but we do have a select few films that is shown at my moms or at my house .......more often than not...it's at moms.

1. A Christmas Story (1983). This is a personal favorite of mine. It is also a major hit for the family. Partly, because it takes "place" in Terre Haute, Indiana. 

2. Home Alone (1990). This is also a personal favorite of mine. Granted there are plot holes that make you shake your head. But, I am in it for the slapstick violence and the nostalgia of seeing it at the theaters in Upstate New York with my best friends.

3. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965). This is a family favorite.  It is my Mom's favorite Christmas film. So, we never neglect to put this on.

4. How The Grinch stole Christmas. (1966,  1992, and 2000) My sister and I love the Grinch. We change up on which variation of the film we want to see. Yes, we are excited about the 2018 showing of the Grinch.

5. It's A Wonderful Life (1946). A Christmas classic for the family. We don't show this one all to often but it is in our Christmas lineup.

6. Miracle on 34th street (1947 or 1994) This is a hard call every year. Sometimes , we watch it. More often than not this is held over til after New years. I realize that there are two other remakes 1959 and 1973. Personally, I prefer the the '47 and '94 films.

7. The Holiday (2006). This is not in the regular line up with my family. This is a personal favorite of mine. I like the entire cast and the film itself.

These are the top seven.

Sometimes, someone will not want to watch a certain film above...so they can go to the grab bag and get a different movie.

The grab bag option films are:

Elf (2003)

Polar Express (2004)

A Christmas Carol (I have several variations of this film I kid you not.)

National Lampoon's Christmas (1989)

Die Hard (1988)

I have several other Christmas films that I own. I would be on here all night, listing and citing. Yes, you guessed it....We love Christmas over here!

We try to watch most of these films over the course of the week. We usually have a merry old time with egg nog, candy, and other assorted goodies. It's all about being with family and having fun.

I want you all to have a wonderful winter holidays. I hope that whatever holiday that you do celebrate...that it be a great one with your family and friends. Be safe and enjoy it all this year! -Adam

Our big three are:

Christmas Story

Elf

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

We really, really would like to add a Legion M nerd holiday spectacular to the mix someday! We haven't found it yet, but we're looking, and have had some conversations with really cool creators about creating one...

8 hours ago, John Biscardi said:

Grumpy Old Men is a necessity every year...

Excellent choice. I love this movie.  This should be on the list as well!

10 hours ago, Jeff Annison said:

Our big three are:

Christmas Story

Elf

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

We really, really would like to add a Legion M nerd holiday spectacular to the mix someday! We haven't found it yet, but we're looking, and have had some conversations with really cool creators about creating one...

Just as long as no one is dumping the sh*tter into the storm drain across from Legion M Headquarters.....go for it! <ha ha> -Adam

In the last few years, we've started a tradition that we'll watch a scary/horror movie on Christmas. You know, Insidious, Conjuring, Sinister... that kind of thing. XD

3 hours ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

In the last few years, we've started a tradition that we'll watch a scary/horror movie on Christmas. You know, Insidious, Conjuring, Sinister... that kind of thing. XD

Have you seen Krampus ?

18 minutes ago, Michelle P. Carter said:

I have not, but we tried to pick movies that had nothing to do with the holidays, haha. 

Gotcha! -Adam

On 12/22/2017 at 2:50 PM, Jonathan McMahon said:

Gremlins 

You have to be careful with this one, though. I watched it with my kids when they were TOO YOUNG. It would be a fine FAMILY Christmas movie if not for the scene where

Spoiler

the kid tells the story about his father dying in the chimney, and "that's how I found out there wasn't a Santa Clause"!

(I hid this so as not to spoil it in case somebody hasn't seen it) :)

14 hours ago, Jesus J Maldonado said:

I don't know when I started but Die Hard has been my holiday movie every single year. And sometimes Home Alone 1 and 2.

It's funny... I know a lot of people that watch "Die Hard" on Christmas. Mostly because the film takes place on December 24th, 1988. Even though the film was released on July 15th, 1988. It is one of those quirky traditions I guess.....we all know that tradition will die...HARD, <ha ha> -Adam