Jeff Annison

Brainstorming Celebrity Players

12 posts in this topic

Today we released our first ever Legion M casting call. https://legionm.com/pitch-elevator-casting-call

Lets use this thread to brainstorm potential celebrity players. The ones we included in the casting call page are: 

• The Rocket Scientist. She doesn’t know anything about the movie business, but when you design spacecraft for a living this should be a piece of cake…Right? This real life JPL scientist believes she's got the formula for mogul success. (Note, this could also be a nuclear engineer, DARPA researcher, professor of advanced particle physics, 14 year old MIT student etc--any genius will do...) 
  • Ari Gold. Nobody knows exactly where Ari is submitting from, but his weekly blog is solid Gold. (Note to Jeremy Piven - If you are reading this PLEASE CALL US SO WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT!!)
  • The Monkey. Each week, a real live monkey makes picks by choosing bananas with the names of the pitches on them. It's all in good fun, but beware—if you lose to the monkey there WILL be consequences… (Note--doesn't need to be a monkey--could also work with anything from Cocker Spaniel or Cockatoo to a Baby or a Potted Plant. Just need a fun and creative way for this player to make their picks each week.)
  • Benny Vader. Just like Stephen Baldwin, Benny has spent his whole live in the shadow of famous older brothers Darth and Chad. Pitch Elevator is giving Benny 15 minutes of fame, and he's determined to make the most of it!!
  • The ACTOR. Even if you didn't catch her in the off off off off broadway musical "Stink", you probably recognize her face from that Frito's commercial (you know the one). She's a method actor's method actor, (trained at JULLIARD, dammit!), so picking pitches should be a breeze.
  • Vegas Odds-Maker. After 35 years of working the Strip, he knows everybody in the biz. He's got "a guy" who can provide hot tips on Pitch Elevator. He can also hook you up with a great car stereo at a rock bottom price.
  • Donald Trump. We couldn't get the real Donald (SAD!), but we did find Donald Trump of Mehoopany, Pennsylvania and he's ready to #MakeHollywoodGreatAgain!

Those are some of our ideas, but would love to hear some of yours!

here's one that came from the facebook comments:

Alexander Hamilton. The former treasury secretary turned broadway phenom submits all his picks via hip-hop lyrics. But can we get Lin-Manuel Miranda to write it?

I just want to reiterate that I think there is no upside to invoking the President’s image on the show.  If it’s not sufficiently flattering, it will put our business in his and his supporters’ crosshairs.  If it’s in any way flattering, it will harm our standing in the creative community.  And if it’s too lighthearted, it demeans the lives of those suffering under this administration, making us look tone-deaf and callous.  There is no way to be a-political about it, and there are too many other, better options for characters we could use to take so much of a risk on one so polarizing.  That said, so I’m not just being a Negative Nancy, here are my suggestions for better options:

1.       Puppet Matt Damon from Team America

2.       A behavioral economist

3.       A Sabermetric statistician

4.       Any member of the geek brat pack (Hardwick/Wheaton/Green/Dey/etc.)

5.       A movie or video game critic

Someone on Shindig -- I didn't catch who it was -- suggested a ventriloquist and their dummy.  I think that could be really funny if done right.  Maybe having Siskel and Ebert type arguments between themselves.

Well, you know me (or not) - but I took the idea of the monkey and went weird.

My first thought was to do something similar to a ventriloquist, but with my taxidermy Piranha "Mitch".  The other thought I had (for "the monkey") was a demon who might be willing to make a deal for your soul in order to get your idea produced. The real difference between the 2 is one animated and the other is not.

fish-about-town.jpg

movie-demon-small.png

1 hour ago, Bridget Richardson said:

I like Mitch.  He reminds me of the Admiral Ackbar singing bass:

This is pretty fantastic!

I like the Malcolm Gladwell idea. You never know, @Jeff Annison, he did the keynote at a conference I went to a few years ago. Nate Silver was a pretty great idea someone suggested during the shindig, but it's actually Walt Hickey who does all the great Hollywood related prediction pieces at FiveThirtyEight. 

Edited by Jonathan McMahon

On 10/27/2017 at 0:06 PM, Jeff Annison said:

How about a Simon Cowel impersonator?

Great idea! Love him! Hahahaha!

On 10/29/2017 at 7:02 AM, Chris L said:

Mr. Wonderful or Cuban would be great!

Yes! Mr. Wonderful! Pete would do that one good! Haha