Karen C

Development Ideas & Questions

8 posts in this topic

Pitch+Elevator+FB+Images.009.jpeg

I'm starting this topic as a space to discuss any development ideas or questions you may have regarding season 1 of Pitch Elevator.

This is more of a season 2 thing, but I want to put in a plug for some sort of ranked-choice voting over binary forced choice voting, especially if we decide to keep the free-for-all format for first round voting.  Or, have us evaluate pitches individually on a set of parameters instead of against each other.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:39 PM, Bridget Richardson said:

This is more of a season 2 thing, but I want to put in a plug for some sort of ranked-choice voting over binary forced choice voting, especially if we decide to keep the free-for-all format for first round voting.  Or, have us evaluate pitches individually on a set of parameters instead of against each other.

I'm not sure I follow, Bridget. You mind elaborating a bit? I'd love to understand  the issue you are trying to improve upon, and the proposed solution. 

Mostly I'm irritated at the people who gamed the system by submitting multiple pitches.  On person's name came up at least 15 times with nearly identical "trailers."  I didn't think any of them were good enough to advance, but having so many entries increased the odds that at least some would be paired with an even less preferable option (or even against one another).  We shouldn't allow that to happen.  I guess we could deal with that without changing the way we vote by limiting people to one entry.  They should submit their best work, and if that leads to a deal, that would be the time to discuss additional projects.

That said, I would still rather have had the chance to rank my preferences instead of having to pick one of two randomly paired choices I didn't like (or, as in some cases, pick one of two choices, both of which I would like to see make it to the next round).  I tried to also give each pitch I reviewed a star rating, but I didn't always remember to do that.

@Bridget Richardson I know which one you're talking about... yeah. We had the same discussion when voting opened the first time about the *ahem* multiple trailers. I think a limit of 5 would be more realistic than just one. In an actual pitch meeting you offer more than one idea.

As for ranking preferences ... there are 400 pitches. That's a ton of videos. I think ranking would be more helpful as we narrow down the lot. If I'm remembering correctly, the stars help toward the voting if there's a tie.

I do think that there could be a change to the guidelines. Ideas are great but a treatment or script would be nice to have. That could be a question on the entry form. Not sure how to handle that in person but the online submissions would be easy.

Totally understand what you are saying @Bridget Richardson, and I know who you are talking about with the multiple entries. I can tell you that the way the system is set up, there's no real advantage to having multiple pitches. 

The scoring used to select the semifinalists considers both star ratings AND the head to head votes. We made the Star rankings optional, maybe next time we'll make that a requirement. There will always be cases when two pitches you really like (or two you hate) go head to head,  and it makes it hard to pick a winner. However since the matchups are random and we have so many votes, the data we're using to make decisions is solid.

The NEXT round--the one the show will be built around--will be interesting to see. The voting is different (you'll watch 8 pitches and choose which 2 get to move on). There will also be a lot more data--i.e. the evaluations from the celebrity judges and opinions of other players. I'm really interested to see how it works out, but am ultimately pretty confident that we'll end up with 10 great pitches for the finale.

I did two pitches - but they were both unique and I actually pitched the ideas. 

On 10/23/2017 at 9:58 PM, Bridget Richardson said:

Mostly I'm irritated at the people who gamed the system by submitting multiple pitches.  On person's name came up at least 15 times with nearly identical "trailers."  I didn't think any of them were good enough to advance, but having so many entries increased the odds that at least some would be paired with an even less preferable option (or even against one another). 

You're not alone and IMO, I don't think I ever saw one paired against something less preferable! XD