Nikki Ackerman

Women in Film

7 posts in this topic

Alrighty, here's a something for everyone... Women in Film since this sub-forum is Women in Filmmaking, I thought, 'Why not share the WIF website?' There are different levels of membership, sadly, none of them are free and all require a letter of recommendation from someone in the industry (or a RFTV professor if you're a student or recent grad).

I'm working on my membership, are you?

Hello NIkki,

I am assisting with   film  festival submissions  on a few projects I've had my hands in this year. I am a newbie, any suggestions?

Thank you very much

On 1/22/2018 at 8:14 PM, Okt31 Media Publishing said:

Hello NIkki,

I am assisting with   film  festival submissions  on a few projects I've had my hands in this year. I am a newbie, any suggestions?

Thank you very much

I highly recommend that you take a look at FilmFreeway. There are always festivals there. They have a list of Oscar qualifier festivals if that's what your aim is. You can also filter for specific criteria like festivals with live screenings, or categories like animation. 

There's also Without a Box. Be careful though, a lot of big festivals use both platforms.

Here's a link to an article from MovieMaker magazine on the best fests for your money. Here's another from PremiumBeat.com for up-and-coming filmmakers.

I enter screenwriting competitions because that's what I do.

The best advice I can give is this, research each festival you're considering. Look at the feedback and make sure it's the right fit for your project. Definitely look at SXSW and Fantastic Fest. Look at Sundance for next year. If you use FilmFreeway, they have a watch list feature that you can set up to alert you when deadlines are coming up for any festival on your list. They usually have feedback as well. 

I hope this is helpful!

Any my sincerest apologies for not seeing this earlier. I've been away from my computer all week trying to work on a huge overhaul of a script!

NIkki,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and elaborating on everything. No worries.

I so appreciate it. Very cool, you screen writer. That really takes a lot of  talent. Well to update you we did find that  FilmFree Way and a few others and we were debating which to use . FFW seemed so user friendly and had so many to choose from i thought it was too good to be true. So thanks for your feedback and putting our worries to rest.... Happy to report we just signed up and submitted to a few that I think will be a good match. 

And please keep me posted on your endeavors :) 

@Okt31 Media Publishing I have one submission right now for the Cannes screenplay competition. I won't hear about that until March! Agonizing...

Glad that FilmFreeway worked out for you. It is super easy to use. I have a Without A Box account only for the HBO writers thing but I always seem to miss that window because I'm at work when it opens and closes (usually in the same day)!

Good luck to you!