Karma Christine Salvato

📚 LEGION M BOOK CLUB!! 📚 — INTERESTED??

52 posts in this topic

Yeah we need to figure out the WHO is going to be in the Book club before putting out the voting for what is read. So I think we are all in agreement there.

Do we even KNOW how many people have signed up to be in the book club? Also I think we should set up an Amazon account and link people to buy the books or ebooks off of that and the proceeds can go to a charity or whathaveyou. Thoughts?

Lets figure out WHO is in the book club and then recast the vote for only those who are going to read. Does anyone have a suggestions for a sign up for the book club??

For me, it depends on the books offered if I participate that month. It's gotta be interesting. I can't say I've ever been fussed about never having read Dune. I put forth two books that I have in my possession. One I've never read but my kid had to read for school and one I love and wouldn't mind reading again. (I mean, I have a bunch of books I've not read yet and could easily have suggested. I like banned books and I think September is banned book month but I could be wrong.)

I think doing a genre specific thing could be good. That would let people know that aren't interested in that genre so they can skip that month. If anyone is a prime member, Kindle First is included and they usually have some interesting reads in that list. A book each from different genres.

I like the idea of linking to Amazon Smile! I go through that any time I order and I support the USO! :)

I am actually about half way through Dune. I kept starting and stopping this one for years lol

I have it on my kindle that I keep loosing somewhere in my house lol.

6 hours ago, Damian Beurer said:

Does anyone have a suggestions for a sign up for the book club??

I guess it depends on where you want the Book Club HQ to be.  If it's on FB, I would think creating a private group would be the easiest thing, and then asking that only people who have a genuine interest in the club request to join. Naturally, you'd need to name some people to be mods and admins to help manage the group.

If you want the HQ to be here, we can create a password protected forum and only give the password to those who ask to join.  Existing mods and admins can manage the new forum, but of course all participants would need a forum account.

Regardless of which site you choose, it might be helpful if Jeff sets up a sign-up page on the LM web site where you can collect names and emails into a spreadsheet in case you ever need a database of Book Club participants. Then, when someone signs up, an email can be automatically generated telling the person how to access the club, what the expectations are, who's running the club, etc. 

Just my thoughts.  :)

I agree with @Nikki Ackerman that you could have a different genre each month so people don't feel excluded.  To be honest I've never read a sci-fi novel in my life I'm more of a murder mystery, detective, biography reader although I have read CS Lewis and that's the only fantasy I've read. That being said this is also a good opportunity for people like me to try something new or take me out of my comfort zone.

Wherever you decide to put the group everyone has to be respectful of others opinions as reading is a lot more personal than watching tv or movies.

I agree, a different genre each month. It will be fun to read the variety.

So, when is the vote going to be finalized so we can go get the book and start reading? :)

21 hours ago, Damian Beurer said:

Yeah we need to figure out the WHO is going to be in the Book club before putting out the voting for what is read. So I think we are all in agreement there.

Do we even KNOW how many people have signed up to be in the book club? Also I think we should set up an Amazon account and link people to buy the books or ebooks off of that and the proceeds can go to a charity or whathaveyou. Thoughts?

Lets figure out WHO is in the book club and then recast the vote for only those who are going to read. Does anyone have a suggestions for a sign up for the book club??

What about create a Book Club sub-forum here in the Forums. Then have a poll: Are you joining the book club? Yes or No.  Only the people that select yes can vote. Have a thread for each month with a poll at the top of each thread to vote on books for that month with a strict deadline so we can start reading right away after the poll is over.

If this about books we'd love to see made into movies, there's one book I can think of that SCREAMS to be made into a feature film--BILL, THE GALACTIC HERO by Harry Harrison!

Hey guys! Im a newbie on the forum.  I'm game for doing the book club thing sooo count me in!  I do a ton of audible bc of time, not sure if you guys are ok with that.  I can work in time to read too tho! I'm in btw Captain Underpants books at the moment tho. 😎 Will Wheaton is currently reading Ready Player One to me when I drive in to work........... long pause so you all have a moment where you're like what do you mean Will Wheaton is reading a book to you............on Audible.   Otherwise I'd have a gigantic Barnes & Noble in my house by the time I'm 50 with books I am wanting to read.  

On 9/2/2017 at 0:42 PM, MeriJewel said:

What about create a Book Club sub-forum here in the Forums. Then have a poll: Are you joining the book club? Yes or No.  Only the people that select yes can vote. Have a thread for each month with a poll at the top of each thread to vote on books for that month with a strict deadline so we can start reading right away after the poll is over.

OK let's do THIS. Create a sub forum with a link to it. I will post it on FB and Twitter and those who want to join in can and then we can do the poll here.

@Karen C is there a way to do a poll on the forum? Is there a built in feature?

D

On 8/30/2017 at 1:59 PM, Greg Roensch said:

Love this idea (and always open to reading big-time, already-famous books), but wondering if there's an opportunity to read the works of Legion M investors who may or may not not have achieved such lofty heights. 

Here's my humble book of short, short stories that I published earlier this year ... 

https://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Alien-Other-Short-Stories/dp/0998623008

So, yes, tooting my own horn (it would be wonderful to get support/feedback from the Legion), but also wondering if there are others in the Legion whose books might be included. down the road.  

59a72667089b3_coversmaller.JPG.4eba37b4934d3be401dda656eb6c7901.JPG

Love this idea! Something to consider next time around for sure.

I think that these may be of interest here:

And the Devil Will Drag You Under - Jack Chalker

Anything by Larry Niven, especially:

Lucifer's Hammer, Inferno  (and it's sequel) Escape From Hell

Also... As a side note...

I know people have busy lives and love the technological advancements that we enjoy in the world today, but the idea behind the "Book Club" when I threw the idea out there was for people to go "old school" and hold an ACTUAL BOOK in their hands and read it. Either buying an actual copy... Or... GASP... Checking a copy out from the library!!

I hope all involved in the club will join in this archaic, yet COMPLETELY AWESOMESAUCE, concept!! BOOKS ARE DOPE, PEEPS—AND SO ARE BOOKSTORES AND LIBRARIES!!  

:D :x :x :D

Don't you just love the smell of the pages??

Just the way that movies should be seen on a BIG screen and NOT your phone or computer—books should be HELD in your hand and breathed in, NOT read on a screen!!

Reading an actual book that you hold in your hands... There is something SOOOO SPECIAL about that. They are some of my BEST childhood (and adulthood) memories...

Okay... Stepping down from my "soapbox" now...

💖📚📚💖

On 9/6/2017 at 3:17 PM, Damian Beurer said:

OK let's do THIS. Create a sub forum with a link to it. I will post it on FB and Twitter and those who want to join in can and then we can do the poll here.

Here's the link to your Book Club sub-forum:

http://legionm.us/forum/forums/forum/149-book-club/

On 9/6/2017 at 3:17 PM, Damian Beurer said:

is there a way to do a poll on the forum? Is there a built in feature?

Yes!  Whenever you start a new topic it defaults to regular content, but there is a tab for creating a Poll.  It's a little funky in that you have to fill out both tabs (Poll and Content), but other than that it's pretty straightforward.

YXfVEs+S5zAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

If you are looking for sci-fi series, I recommend the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer and Timebound series by Rysa Walker.   Both would make great movie franchises.

Like the idea of switching genres and reading classics (you can get them for free online through Project Gutenberg)

Goodreads and various online libraries (like Overdrive/Libby) have book reading lists and allow you to create a reading group/club.  

The Legion M book club is picking the genre for next months book! Poll ends September 13th at NOON.

Submissions and voting for books will begin September 13th at noon and the announcement of the book for October will be made end of day September 15th.
VOTE HERE:
http://legionm.us/forum/forums/topic/1182-book-club-genre-vote-for-october-2017/

On 9/7/2017 at 10:20 PM, Karma Christine Salvato said:

@Damian Beurer... Are we re-voting here on the forum which book to read with people voting who will ACTUALLY BE READING this round??

Seeing as how it is September 11th, would Dune be too much for everyone to pick up and read by the end of the month? If a majority of those involved want to re-vote please speak now or hold thy peace. I'd like to put a list together of everyone who will be participating in the book club ASAP so we can get things rolling.

I also want to schedule the Book Club Shindig September 30th at 11am PST. We need to plan this now to get everyone prepared. PLEASE let me know asap if you want to be involved in this months book club and if you think DUNE is too much we need to quickly put a vote together for a book to read.

I definitely won't be able to read anything that quickly @Damian Beurer. Also is it ok not to take part every month as I have signed up for a couple of college courses which involve reading. Oh and one last thing, can the books we choose be readily available and affordable?

Edited by Zandra Bill

6 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

I definitely won't be able to read anything that quickly @Damian Beurer. Also is it ok not to take part every month as I have signed up for a couple of college courses which involve reading. Oh and one last thing, can the books we choose be readily available and affordable?

I wouldnt assume EVERYONE would be able to be a part of this every month. There will be times I am sure I will have to bow out due to scheduling conflicts.
I am looking into getting an amazon affiliate account for the team so we can get books inexpensively online. Also you can probably find the books we choose at a local library. That is where I will look first myself.

I will be sure to find the most inexpensive copies of the books for us for sure.

Here is the link to DUNE http://amzn.to/2eZWE1K

Although I am still waiting for folks to let me know that they are interested in being in the book club this month.

OK we need to know who will be able to participate and start the vote ASAP!

Please let me know if you are going to participate. I will have to restart a voting poll now... standby!

PLEASE VOTE NOW for the SEPTEMBER genre! I extended the October vote to Sept 18th.