Karma Christine Salvato

📚 LEGION M BOOK CLUB!! 📚 — INTERESTED??

51 posts in this topic

Hello Legion M Peeps!! :D:D

Any 📚 book lovers 📚 in the group??

Would you be interested in participating in a "Legion M Book Club?"

Time to expand our intellectual horizons and have lively discussions!!

We can follow @Matan Goldstein's model for the "Viewing Party" by making book suggestions and voting on our favorite and then "meet" online periodically to discuss the book...

Thoughts??

🦄📚📚🦄

@Terri Lubaroff @Jeff Annison @Paul Scanlan @Damian Beurer

On 8/2/2017 at 1:40 AM, Karma Christine Salvato said:

Hello Legion M Peeps!! :D:D

Any 📚 book lovers 📚 in the group??

Would you be interested in participating in a "Legion M Book Club?"

Time to expand our intellectual horizons and have lively discussions!!

We can follow @Matan Goldstein's model for the "Viewing Party" by making book suggestions and voting on our favorite and then "meet" online periodically to discuss the book...

Thoughts??

🦄📚📚🦄

@Terri Lubaroff @Jeff Annison @Paul Scanlan @Damian Beurer

I think this is a great idea, @Karma Christine Salvato!  We should do this the same way Matan does his -- choose a date/time for a book club Shindig, put together a list of books you want people to vote on, then announce which book you'll be reading this month depending on the vote.  At the end of the month, we'll do the book club Shindig and it will be awesome!  Do you have a list of books you'd want people to choose from?  And maybe put together 5-6 dates/times for a book club Shindig at the end of September/beginning of October.  Let me know!  Let's do it!

Thanks, @Terri Lubaroff!! :D:D Yeah, I thought Matan's format would work well. I'm open for book suggestions. One I would put on there is The Alchemist. I've always wanted to read it and never got around to it. Feel free to make some suggestions!! I'll try to think of a few more. We should have at least FIVE, no more than TEN to choose from, in my opinion.

Hey, @Damian Beurer!! Here's the thread. Not sure where to locate the link for this discussion...

On 8/23/2017 at 3:44 AM, Karma Christine Salvato said:

Thanks, @Terri Lubaroff!! :D:D Yeah, I thought Matan's format would work well. I'm open for book suggestions. One I would put on there is The Alchemist. I've always wanted to read it and never got around to it. Feel free to make some suggestions!! I'll try to think of a few more. We should have at least FIVE, no more than TEN to choose from, in my opinion.

Hey, @Damian Beurer!! Here's the thread. Not sure where to locate the link for this discussion...

Great!  Please coordinate with Damian.  I'd love to do a poll on which book to choose, launch on September 1 with that choice and an invite to join, and then have a book club Shindig at the end of September. Is that doable, everyone?  I'd like to recommend EMPEROR'S BLADES by Brian Staveley as a choice.  Looks like we have 5 books to choose from for the first poll already!  Damian -- can you please push that out on Facebook and the Forums this weekend (also link Twitter to the poll)?  We'll announce the book that wins the poll on Sept. 1 and launch!

On 8/23/2017 at 9:20 PM, MeriJewel said:

@Leesha Davis what was the book you were talking about on Sunday morning at SDCC?

It is the "Green Rider" series by Kristen Britain

Might not be a masterpiece of writing but I loved it and thought it would make a great movies series.

There is another fairly new series called "The Red Queen"

A 3rd series is "The Black Jewel Trilogy" but its very very dark

Here are the five books we will vote on now. I am posting this for vote on the Facebook group now!

"Dune" by Frank Herbert

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote

"Emperor's Blades" by Brian Staveley

On 8/25/2017 at 7:27 PM, Leesha Davis said:

It is the "Green Rider" series by Kristen Britain

Might not be a masterpiece of writing but I loved it and thought it would make a great movies series.

There is another fairly new series called "The Red Queen"

A 3rd series is "The Black Jewel Trilogy" but its very very dark

Hey, @Leesha Davis, we'll add these to the list for October's book club.  :-)

If it ends up being Dune, I will try to read it, no promises since I can't even stay awake to watch it.

LOL, @Jeremy Gamble! That's a perfect example of an AMAZING book with a very weird book to film adaptation. It would be fun to read the book and watch the movie and discuss what went wrong. 

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Gamble said:

If it ends up being Dune, I will try to read it, no promises since I can't even stay awake to watch it.

It's preferable falling asleep unfortunately when I watched it I was too young and vibrant to fall asleep. :/

18 minutes ago, Zandra Bill said:

It's preferable falling asleep unfortunately when I watched it I was too young and vibrant to fall asleep. :/

I wanted to watch it, I wanted to like it.. I just could not stay awake long enough to know if I like it.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy Gamble said:

I wanted to watch it, I wanted to like it.. I just could not stay awake long enough to know if I like it.

Take it from me Jeremy it's really not worth seeing from beginning to end, it's really one of my most vivid memories I have of sitting through an awful film I have dismissed the others but this one haunts me.

I think we need to have different genres per vote so like a sci-fi, a fantasy, and so on. Also a nice splatter of male and female writers. Also some indie publishing as well. Just my thoughts I love to read and would like to join in but the ones picked this time are not my thing lol.

Posted (edited)

The 'All Souls Trilogy' of alchemy, witches, demons and vapires (what else?), time travel and history! "A Discovery of Witches", "Shadow of Night", and "the Book of Life". Really good reads. Actually would make a good film! And.....I spoke too soon. Just found out an announcement was made yesterday regarding the books being picked up for a TV series in the UK on SKY1. It's been cast and will be filming in the UK shortly. Still, a very good read and when the series finally makes it to the US, all the better!

Edited by Terry V Culver
found out more information about it.

Love this idea (and always open to reading big-time, already-famous books), but wondering if there's an opportunity to read the works of Legion M investors who may or may not not have achieved such lofty heights. 

Here's my humble book of short, short stories that I published earlier this year ... 

https://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Alien-Other-Short-Stories/dp/0998623008

So, yes, tooting my own horn (it would be wonderful to get support/feedback from the Legion), but also wondering if there are others in the Legion whose books might be included. down the road.  

59a72667089b3_coversmaller.JPG.4eba37b4934d3be401dda656eb6c7901.JPG

OK it seems that DUNE is winning by a landslide. BUT.... I swear if most of the people that picked Dune are not IN the book club I will slap each and every one of them for voting it and making me read that book again. ;)

We need to lock this down and pick the start date and set up the Shindig.  I also like the idea someone wrote about doing genres for books we pick. Like one month SCI-FI, another MYSTERY, another month FANTASY etc....  I'll let you all decide what genre for each month cool?

D

9 hours ago, Damian Beurer said:

OK it seems that DUNE is winning by a landslide. BUT.... I swear if most of the people that picked Dune are not IN the book club I will slap each and every one of them for voting it and making me read that book again. ;)

We need to lock this down and pick the start date and set up the Shindig.  I also like the idea someone wrote about doing genres for books we pick. Like one month SCI-FI, another MYSTERY, another month FANTASY etc....  I'll let you all decide what genre for each month cool?

D

Hey @Damian Beurer... How many pages is it?? I've never read Dune, so I'm semi-intrigued, however, going forward I don't feel people should be able to vote unless they are going to ACTUALLY READ the book chosen. Everyone can suggest books to be in the poll though.

I'm not quite sure how to enforce that, but perhaps at some point we can have a "Book Club Log-In" on the website for people who actually want to participate.

Just doesn't seem fair that people vote on what others should read and then NOT participate. IMHO.

I like the genre months. Don't forget "Classics." 

Perhaps we can even design/create some "LEGION M BOOK CLUB SWAG" to go along with the Club like bookmarks, pins, T-shirts/sweatshirts, etc. I'm a sucker for a bookmark—been collecting them since I was a kid!! :D:D

@Terri Lubaroff

363 not counting the appendices or the map, which can be found on page 536. I hope that answers your question! :) Keep in mind that Dune is also a trilogy. Maybe we should take a look at Comic Book Girl's Dune Club?

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 12.17.01.png

Edited by Nikki Ackerman