Vincent Paterno

Looking forward to 'Wonder Woman'?

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I certainly am. A lot is riding on Gail Godot's new film:

* Can a female-led superhero pic deliver at the box office? Warners certainly believes so, judging from the massive advertising, bus posters, etc. There have been other superheroine films before, but Wonder Woman is unquestionably the best-known of them all, far more than any equivalent Marvel character. Which leads to the next point...

* DC films of late have been dark in tone, to the dismay of many fans. It's as if DC/Warners is fearful of unleashing any ghosts of 1966 "Batman" TV camp. I'm sensing the characterization of WW will strike a balance between recent Justice League movies and the '70s Lynda Carter character -- light enough to be likable, smart enough to avoid being silly.

* Last year's femme-led "Ghostbusters" did decently, but disdain from "NO GURLZ ALLOWED" fanboys prevented it from being a blockbuster. I'm hoping that won't be a problem this time around, and that it can lead to more films with women in lead/heroic roles (and as directors, such as Patty Jenkins). As a writer who enjoys creating vivid, assertive characters for both genders, I hope so.

* And finally, Godot herself. Can she parlay this into top-tier stardom? Heck, at about this time three years ago, pre-"Guardians of the Galaxy," Chris Pratt was best known as the husband of Anna Faris (and will her gender-swapped "Overboard" remake finally turn her into a big-screen star?).

Edited by Vincent Paterno

35 minutes ago, Vincent Paterno said:

* And finally, Godot herself. Can she parlay this into top-tier stardom? Heck, at about this time three years ago, pre-"Guardians of the Galaxy," Chris Pratt was best known as the husband of Anna Faris. <-- I disagree. Chris Pratt was in the Jurassic Park remake and started out as Bright on Everwood. 

I'm looking forward to the film. My hope is that they do it justice. I'm a big WW fan.

Wonder Woman is the only summer film I'm looking forward to as the rest don't interest me.  However, my excitement for it changes every time a new trailer appears as some of them make it look fabulous while others worry me that it will be rubbish.  I really hope it's the former. :/

Funny story... I actually started working on a spec WW script before they announced the movie. Just for myself but I did hope that I would have been able to sell it, so it had better be freakin' amazing!

Might have to do a Legion M MeetUp for the Bakersfield area on the showing and see what kind of crowd we can draw. 

To Nikki: "Jurassic World" didn't come out until 2015, and before "Guardians" Pratt's best-known TV series was "Parks and Recreation."

Never watched Parks & Rec and I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy. Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) was in Everwood with Chris Pratt, Treat Williams and Gregory Smith. I actually didn't know he was married to Anna Faris until a year or so ago. People out there knew who he was. That's like saying Garth Brooks is known just as Trisha Yearwood's husband or Tim McGraw is just Faith Hill's husband.

1 hour ago, Nikki Ackerman said:

Never watched Parks & Rec and I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy. Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) was in Everwood with Chris Pratt, Treat Williams and Gregory Smith. I actually didn't know he was married to Anna Faris until a year or so ago. People out there knew who he was. That's like saying Garth Brooks is known just as Trisha Yearwood's husband or Tim McGraw is just Faith Hill's husband.

Nikki you should watch Parks and Rec as it is very funny once you get past the awkward first season.  But I have to agree that Chris Pratt came out of nowhere to become a mega star. In P and R he's the rather chunky dopey and annoying character.

I'll definitely be checking the movie out.  I'm normally not interested in the DC properties, but as others have pointed out, I think it's important to support the female-led film for a variety of reasons. I'm really hoping this one does well and blazes  the path for more like it.

They don't want to invest the money in case they have another Catwoman on their hands... but I think WW will do great and amazing things at the box office!!

OH MY HECK ! ! ! LOVED THIS MOVIE ! ! !      >>>> NO SPOILERS HERE <<<  GO SEE IT ! !

This is by far the best DC origin film ever and quite possibly the best DC film ever.  I really enjoyed it and I could see myself going back to see it again quite soon.  The cast are perfect apart from a couple of annoying things which I will talk about in the spoilers.  I really hope there will be a sequel and the character won't just be wasted as a bit part in Justice League and the other DC films.

Spoiler

I really think that both Danny Houston and David Thewlis are now stuck as being typecast as villains, I find it difficult to remember them not being the bad guy, so it was no surprise to me who the main villain was. :(

I also wonder how WW 2 and the rise of Hitler occurred under Diana's watch maybe she went back home to visit her Mum during that time.  Just like the Minions who were banished for that timeframe. :D

3 hours ago, Zandra Bill said:

This is by far the best DC origin film ever and quite possibly the best DC film ever.  I really enjoyed it and I could see myself going back to see it again quite soon.  The cast are perfect apart from a couple of annoying things which I will talk about in the spoilers.  I really hope there will be a sequel and the character won't just be wasted as a bit part in Justice League and the other DC films.

Reveal hidden contents

I really think that both Danny Houston and David Thewlis are now stuck as being typecast as villains, I find it difficult to remember them not being the bad guy, so it was no surprise to me who the main villain was. :(

I also wonder how WW 2 and the rise of Hitler occurred under Diana's watch maybe she went back home to visit her Mum during that time.  Just like the Minions who were banished for that timeframe. :D

I agree! I was an amazing film and very witty with the one-liners. I wonder if it helped to have Patty Jenkins in there instead of a fanboy?

Took my 7 year old son, Allen, to see it last night. I LOVED it!  Allen loved it too. Before he was out of his chair he was saying how great it was and continued to say so all the way to the car. LOL.

Everyone definitely needs to go see it. :wow:

It was absolutely awesome!

Gal Gabot did an incredible job, made the character very believable from where she came from to being thrown into the reality of the modern world. Love it.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:59 AM, Christine Pointeau said:

It was absolutely awesome!

Gal Gabot did an incredible job, made the character very believable from where she came from to being thrown into the reality of the modern world. Love it.

Did you see the news from Variety? Patty Jenkins will be directing WW's second installment!